Thursday, April 19, 2007

You can't win?

OK. Arright, here's some CDs I've gotten recently. My reactions as well.
(by the way, the new gmail/google version or interface of Blogger really sucks.)

Dolorean "You Can't Win"
This is a band that Keith turned me on to. Countryish. Slowcore-ish. Layed back. Kinda like if John Denver was singing while Neil Young was pickin'. This disc starts of with a really droney piano song that has frontman, Al James singing, "You can't win." ad nausium. This has a uniquely coincidental parrallel to the new Son Volt album, which starts with a droney piano number with Jay Farrar (swooon!) singing, "Feels like drivin' 'round in a slow hearse" over and over and over. They just pummel you with a bummer. Really an interesting way to start off an album. He continues on in a similar tone.
I drink one bottle of wine each night. *****OR***** I feel myself descending
To help me get over you.**************************Like I often do.
I've become quite fond of what ********************I get the feeling there's no winning

One bottle can do. ********************************When I can't Afford to lose.

Pretty good, really. But not really good. Know what I mean, Vern?

Neil Young "Live at Massey Hall 1971"
I turned on KFOG while driving my dad's truck late at night a while ago and they were playing this entire album/show. I had to pull the truck over at one point, I was so moved. This is just a flawless performance. Every note just has magic in it. You know when you're doing something really well, like REALLY well, and you think, "Well, it's any second now that I'm gonna screw this up!" and you usually do. Like a tight rope. Running on a ballance beam. Frogger. But Neil never does throughout this entire Live show. Just him and a guitar. Or him and a piano.
"Afray-yay-yay-yaid! A man feels afraid!"
Bone chilling.......

Son Volt "The Search"
Fantastic. You know it. Love it more with each listen. Not really any mixtape-worthy tracks here. Just a fan pleaser. I'm not gonna bore you, faithful readership, with any more Son Volt loverants. It's just back to what I said in a previous post about what makes a truly great album: "If what you hated on the initial listen becomes what you love after some educated listens, it's just great." Or something like that. And lyrically, he captures the essence of dissolusion with a post 911, post Hussein, post VT America.

Wayne Everett "Kingsqueens"
Crap. This is crap. Man, I had high hopes. This is a rare disc from the frontman of a great band called the Lassie Foundation (one of my longtime favorites). He did a solo record a few years back and I have one track on a compilation and now I finally get the record and it's total poo. Maybe Dolorean's right....... ..............You can't win.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Hey, Pete--

I want to know more about the bullets you found in your house. Where did you find them, what caliber, speculations? You've totally got a Raymond Carver story on your hands . . .

pETE said...

Mmm. There was furniture left here and kitchen cabinets and there would be one or two left in a drawer. One in the track of an alluminum window. Corners of the carpet were pulled up and bullets were tucked underneath.

I got rid of them when I learded that bullets can explode if they're mistreated (you know I've never even touched [maybe not even seen] a real gun). I learned that through a news story where a highschool teacher kept a large calliber bullet as a paperweight (inappropriate) and he was habitually tapping it against the desk as he lectured. It went off and took off a finger or a hand or something.