Monday, December 31, 2007

Musical Gifts

I love to get music as a gift. Love it. Love CDs or instruments or instrument accessories. This year I got some really special music that was not just your average CD. I got regular stuff, too, like the Jensens gave me the entire Battles catalog. And my dad gave me two essential Neil Young discs I was missing.

But the really special stuff was from my brother.

1. He corresponded personally with my favorite radio host, Bob Boilen to try to get me some All Songs Considered memorabilia for me, a big fan. Bob told Keith that there was no official ASC merch, but he sent a CD of his own music that he'd been working on. It's a CDR of some atmospheric electronic music with cool homemade packaging and a little inscription. Honestly, I'm tickled. What a way to treat your fans. What a great guy!

2. Keith also spent the last few months recording himself, Erin, and my parents singing lullabies as a gift to Lily. It's really great. I love my parents' singing voices and I'm glad Lil' G will always be able to hear their singing voices. Keith also did some really great arrangements on here and did some beautiful instrumental stuff. On it, there's a hymn-type song, a Smashing Pumpkins song, a song that my grandfather sang for a Phillip Moris commercial on the radio as a child, and a James Taylor song, sung by my dad, that is one of my favorites to sing to Lillian. Really special.

No comments: