Thursday, March 13, 2008

NCFOM

At least that's what all the kids are calling it.
Netflix sent No Country For Old Men to us even before it came out. We never get that treatment from NF. I've yet to watch it, but you know I read the book. I was just reflecting on a statement I had made to a friend. I claimed that the Coen Bros (I'm a huge fan of them, too. The Big Lebowski?) always make films where the little guy has so much good in him, that he's able to survive ("abide", for you Lebowski fans) and sort of conquer evil; or at least his own struggles (i.e. Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou). The main theme being that the common man is full of good and can, therefore, abide (in the parlance of our times). I claimed that McCarthy is too dark for the Coens. A common McCarthy theme is the idea of the antichrist as a common character. The embodiment of evil, rather than good. The term anti-hero does not suffice. I originally thought this was a strange project for the Bros to take on.

But I call take-backs. I was overlooking Barton Fink, a Coen Brothers masterpiece. John Goodman's character in that movie was much like the Judge in "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Barton Fink is a film not unlike many McCarthy novels. So I call do-overs and say that I was wrong- this was the perfect project for Brothers Coen to take on. And I'm so excited to watch it.

Friday night to-do idea: rent Barton Fink, or NCFOM, or the Big Lebowski, or read NFCOM, or read Blood Meridian. Basically, I've just planned out your whole weekend!

No comments: