Tuesday, June 23, 2009

GRIZZLY BEAR live @ FILLMORE report

For Father's Day Hans, Matt, and I were given tickets by our wives to go see Grizzly Bear at the Fillmore Monday night. Here is my report in easy-to-read bullet points.

A. Loved the stage set-up. All four members set up linearly across the stage (drummer included), which accentuated the notion that all four members are equal contributors, while further mythologizing them as Beatle-esque or, dare I say, Spice Girl-esque "characters".

B. My favorite Bear is Ed. He's dreamy.

C. This was the last date on their tour, so it had a very triumphal, and comfortable feel.

D. To the couple who was dancing/swaying/grinding behind me, who were constantly rubbing up against my beautocks I have two words: NO TOUCHY!
1. Above most things in life I cherish and protect my personal space.
2. No matter how weird I might be with my space issues, touching a man in his right beautock (left beautock if he's, you know..... left-handed) in a crowded place, even by accident, is a BIG NO NO. It usually sends the message someone's trying to get his wallet. Either way, raise up off me.


E. I was unsure how they would keep a consistent sound throughout their set, due to the difference between their last 2 records, and due to the ups and downs of the lo-fi-ness of "Yellow House". However the way that they reworked all their songs into a huge, huge sound left no downtime and kept me thoroughly entertained and wanting more.

F. I didn't get the memo that V-neck tee shirts and Banana Republic madras were back in style for men. Penny loafers, too. No one told me.

G. The encore was short, simple, and a special treat. They came out and huddled together on stage with only one acoustic guitar and pointed a single mic toward the group and did an acoustic song with 4-part harmonies running throughout.

H. Though I do not partake, I love the smell of pot. If there was a type on incense that smelled like pot, I would burn it non-stop at my house. If they bottled it in cologne form, I would slap it on my neck daily.

I. Best show I've seen in a while.

1 comment:

Leiflet said...

It's weird, almost unsettling, how much i love the smell of OTHER people smoking pot. I remember when you used to smoke pot at every single band performance, rehearsal, and jam session... good times.

Wait, this is the Dave Matthews page, right?