Thursday, May 03, 2007

Reading 4 books at once...

I just finally finished "Full of Life" by John Fante, one of my favorite authors. It's a 1950's autobiographical piece on when his wife was pregnant. I thought I would feel the same connection and validation with this book as I did when I read his coming of age books (when I was coming of age [?]). But it was mostly just about his Catholic guilt and his issues with his own father. Selfish/self-indulgent. Very disappointed.

So, even though I am a super slow and non-committal reader, somehow I've ended up reading 4 books at once. I am reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy about a father and son walking across the US after a nuclear holocaust (sort of a futuristic western!!!). I've also loaded the audio version of "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac on my iPod. To my advisory class (a.k.a. 25 wasted minutes) I am using the time to read "Fahrenheit 451" by Bradbury to them. Lastly, I am reading "The Expectant Father" by Armin A. Brott. It's terrific, but it's chronological (with the development of the pregnancy) so I'm all caught up right now and haven't been reading it really.



No comments: