Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Top 5 Neil Young Albums

I'm on a post-barbershop-visit high and got motivated to do a Neil Young blog.

1. Rust Never Sleeps
This is like "Neil Young: for dummies". It introduced me to, and got me hooked on Neil Young. The first half is just Neil by himself. The second half is all Crazy Horse! This remains one of my favorite records to date. Lyrically, it really helped me get through a time of lost friendship in my life. Thanks Neil!

2. Harvest
C'mon, it's got some radio classics like "Old Man", "Heart of Gold", great stuff. And he howls "Are you ready for the country? Because it's time to go!" Go where? I don't know, but I am ready and I wanna go wherever the 'country' is when you put it like that.

3. After the Gold Rush
Just great. Reminds me of Scott Lehman when I hear it. Especially when Neil sings, "When you dance... oooh, oooh, I can really love."



4. Live at Massey Hall 1971
Got it a couple weeks ago and I'm arready wearing it out. Great version of "Ohio"- way better than the Crosby ,Stills, and Nash (yech!) version. It's just a flawless performance. I told you before, I had to pull over the car the first time I heard it. Truly moved.

5. Trans
Neil's synthesizer album. Ballsy. Lost a lot of fans on this one, but not me, Neil. I get lost in this album in a weird psychadelic way. I remember working on the house late during cold nights listening to this and Jay Farrar's synthesizer album called "Sebastapol". Arright.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Pete-

Fun topic. So I can't agree more with the first four on the list, even in that particular order, but I've got to question #5 when you've got Silver and Gold to choose from. So I know there are a few sappy moments in the album but I still think it's a real winner. But, true, not as ballsy. Then for ballsiness there's Ragged Glory. With songs like Fuckin Up and Farmer John, it's pretty darn cool. So I'm calling you out on this one. Showdown . . .

Worst Neil Young Album: Live Rust. Especially the last half when I swear I could do a better job drumming blindfolded with ear plugs in and my hands tied behind my back.