Monday, July 23, 2007

My Gourden

A gourden is what weird gourd crafter people call a garden full of gourds. Yes, I've become one of those weirdos.

It all started with a rattle, called a shekere, that I salvaged and repaired. I love this rattle and use it for lots of different types of music. I decided, since my house is officially "done", that I needed a thing. And I got really into the idea of making percussion instruments from gourds.I've since done a lot of gourd research. I also went a little overboard and planted about 20+ gourd seeds around our property. Some in our vegatable garden, some in Jill's cutting garden, and some in different flower beds in the front. Some are bilobal bottle gourds, some are short-neck dippers, some are birdhouse gourds, and some are corsican flats. I'm not going to make a birdhouse with the birdhouse gourds, but I'm hoping to use them to make the body of a stringed instrument. I plan to make shekeres from the bottle gourds. And djabarras and shakers with the dippers.

I plan to blog about my progress as time goes on, but for now, they're aren't even flowers on the plants.

2 comments:

Erin said...

happy gourdening, pete. who knew you had such a wide variety of interests?

Miracle Balsitis said...

this might be about the coolest thing ever...