Saturday, July 14, 2007

The study of EPs

As my band began work on putting together our EP, we did a lot of looking at other EPs to see what makes an EP (good wiki link here) tick. This caused me to revisit a lot of my EPs. I go through them, listen to them, and re-order them on the shelf the way that little kids rearrange their stuffed animals or matchbox cars- just for looks. I love EPs. They're so fun to get- like a bonus present betweeen albums. So Here's a look at some of my favorite EPs in my collection.
(note: "classic elements of an EP" are in Bold/Itallics)


Delta Haymax- "Self-titled 3 song EP"- Best EP ever. I think it's out of print. 2 members. This is the record that really turned me on to minimalism. It came out at a time when guitars HAD to be distorted. These guys hooked me on clean, simplistic, hook-laden indie rock. Changed my life. This EP was an intro to the band (their debut) and, honestly, the full-length record to follow didn't live up, in my opinion. All three are exclusive tracks. 1997

Bloomsday- "Self-titled EP"- I knew somebody that would play this EP ritualistically upon waking up and again going to bed. He usually revisited it several other times during the day. It's that good. Part of what make some EPs so great is that they are not muddled by the "filler" songs that an album is. Ther's no fluff. And on this EP it's all just perfect the whole way through 100%. 1997

Magnolia Electric Company- "Hard to Love a Man EP"- Hard to love a man? 'Nuff said. But seriously, folks, this EP has some of the classic elements of an EP. It has the single (from the full length album) and it has a cover (of "werewolves of london" by Warren Zevon). 2005



Death Cab for Cutie- "Forbidden Love EP"- Contains the best DeathCab song, "Photo Booth" and has another classic element of an EP which is the alternate version ("Company Calls") and the acoustic version ("405"). 2000










Starflyer 59-
Starflyer (one of my absolute favorite bands) is one of those bands that puts out an EP between almost every full-length release. So, with about 10 notches in their album post, they have at least that many EP notches. "Fell in Love at 22" EP is the best. That song makes it on most mixes I give people, but a song that's actually called "EP Nights" contains the highlight lyric: "Jesus please come soon. This afternoon." that is surrounded by swirls of vintage synths that create a panic feel. I know on my worst days, this lyric comes to mind.





Son Volt/Jay Farrar- You don't think I'd leave them outa this post, did you? Jay is a guy who's really good at releasing little eps and singles between albums. Often they're collectable (yeah for shameless fanboys like me!!!!!!!!!) and often promotional (like: get this rare ep free when you pre-order the album through the band's website). Love it. Love it. Loooooooove iiiit!.

Other EPs of note:
Pedro the Lion- "Whole EP" 2007
Damien Jurado- "Gathered in Song"1998
The Jealous Sound- "s/t EP" 2000
Minus the Bear- "This is What I Know About being Gigantic" 2001
Sparklehorse- "Distorted Ghost EP" 2000
Kelly Willis- "Fading Fast" (son volt as backing band!) 1996

2 comments:

jillyg said...

i'm surprised promise ring's boys + girls ep didn't make it on this post. that's a great ep.

pETE said...

You're right. Promise ring was also one of those bands that put out an ep between every full-length.

Makes it more fun to be a fan.

Am I missing any other great EPs anybody?