Sunday, August 06, 2006

Review of Friday Night's Show

"Broke my heart to leave the city
I mean it broke what wasn't broken in there already"

" I think the stars are just the neon lights
Shining through the dance floor

Of heaven on a Saturday night"


"I learned how to make a living out of making mistakes

Besides, you've got such pretty eyes for a snake"

......Just some lyrical highlights from Magnolia Electric Co.


We got to the Bottom of the Hill at about 10:00 and shortly thereafter the local Dying Californian started out the evening. They were sort of like if the boozey lurch of Palace/Will Oldham had a drummer like Mineral's Gabe Weiley or SDRE's William Goldsmith. It was entertaining and their bassist looked just like Ray Ramano. They also had an actaul real back-up singer and he even kinda looked like Will Oldham.


Next up was Ladyhawk. When they took the stage, I was a little surprised. They were basically gutter punks. Black hooded sweatshirts (hood on, mind you) filthy dirty tight pants or big shorts. They started out with a blaring rocker that had a lot of mathy parts. I think everybody in the room had their mouths dumbly hanging open. These guys have mixed mathy metal with (yes, again) boozey Palace/Will Oldham country. Their guitarist looked like another TV star- that Hobbit on Lost. He did some crazy stuff on that guitar and always had great feedback and this huge crunchy-but-warm fuzz tone. The singer, a portly gutterpunk with a beard (that was probably just there because he didn't care to shave/bathe, not because of the fashion) introduced one song by saying, "This song is about burning yourself with cigarettes." Very fun set with funny moments and moments where they did these great mathy changes and everybody in the room was like, "How in the crap did they do that?"


Magnolia Electric Company is like if my dad was in a band that could ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE! Singer, Jason Molina is an old guy. And he rocks. He's kind of like a Hobbit, too. A Hobbit that really BRINGS THE ROCK! What can I say, an hour of Crazy Horse-esque jamband guitar assault. One standout feature was that you could actually hear the piano/keyboard! That never happens. Even though I shouted out for them to play "Hard to Love a Man" a ton of times (and probably embarassed Keith), they never played it and "Bowery" was the only song they played off that fantastic EP.

The bummer is that they had their new record for sale at this show and it doesn't come out until October! What a find!!!!! And I was like, "Oh, I'll get it right before we leave so I don't hafta carry it around all night." When I went back, it was sold out! How much does that suck for a collector like me!!???!! And it pains me to think that maybe one of the people who bought what could have been my CD was one of the MANY annoying 16-year-old girls who spent the whole show rudely text messagingtheir annoying friends (probably in the same room) and don't even appreciate how cool that early-release-rare-hard-to-find disc is. RaaaaAAAAAARRRRGH!

Other than that, we had a great time. Great show. And we didn't even start any bar fights or anything.

No comments: