Thursday, August 03, 2006

What I've been listening to lately...

Originally Posted 8/3



Listening to a lot of music since I've been working out in the yard the last few days. A lot of instrumental stuff like the Timeout Drawer (video) and Saxon Shore (video) and Sharks Keep Moving (bio/photo). But I also can't stop listening to (and singing loudly along with) Ryan Adams and the Cardinals "Jacksonville City Nights".

It's fantastic. I've owned this for a while, but I never appreciated it like I have this week. Ryan Adams has done a full swing back to old-time honkytonk country. And I can't get enough. "Dear John" is so super sad. Also here, as on his solo debut Heartbreaker, Adams has a tendency to have a couple-three short songs that barely have one verse and one chorus and then they end without a lot of development. On Heartbreaker, these songs are drab, boring, and trail off unimaginatively. On Jacksonville, though, these short tracks (ie. Silver Bullets, September, Pa) are colored by his backing band The Cardinals, whose pedal steel, harmony vocals, violin, etc. make up for the purposefully short, intentionally unrealized compositions. Plus, holy crap! Adams covers one of his own songs- Whiskeytown's "My Heart is Broken". Homerun! Can't stop listening!

Ryan and the Cards on Austin City Limits doing "Hard Way to Fall" (video)


Here's them doing "The End"(video)

Here's Ryan doing the classic "Come Pick Me Up"(video).

No comments: